This project involved the substantial restoration and conversion of the Grade II listed former Corn Exchange structure in East Street, right in the heart of historic Chichester’s conservation area.
The Corn Exchange was originally built in 1833, with its imposing classical structure to express its importance of Trade in the city. The building was later utilised as a cinema and then a fast food restaurant.
HNW’s conversion involved the insertion of two entirely new floors in order to accommodate a major high street retailer (Next Plc.) and complete external restoration.
A new contemporary, frameless planar glass curtain walling system was used as an appropriate and transparent backdrop to the prominent classical colonnade retaining the appearance and character of the original structure - whilst allowing the necessary commercial visibility and branding required by any major high street retailer.